Wednesday 29 January 2014

Legacy of screen printing: I

After completing the remainder of the business card design, I was left with a few nice gradient screen prints. It then came to me that I could use these to create some alternative designs of my logo, which was what I was severely lacking on my presentation board. So, I proceeded to load the prints and onto Illustrator in conjunction with the logo, played around with the 'Clipping Mask' tool, and the results were quite impressive.



In the top logo, I isolated the main 'DG' layer, layered one of the prints beneath, and created a clipping mask whilst having both selected together. This created a simple shape with a very beach-like feel to it, which was quite a departure from my digitally-focused, almost clinical main logo; however, this is not to say that was unsuccessful, as the calming mood can be suitable for when the logo is required for more alternative applications, such as advertising during the summer.

In the lower logo the same process was carried out, albeit here the print was layered beneath the blue layer with all other layers of the main logo still intact. Featuring an imbalance of digital and traditional elements, this was personally not as harmonious as the other logo, although this injection of printed gradient certainly gave the inside of the logo more substance by 'grounding' it better than the digital gradient it replaced.


No comments:

Post a Comment